Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pear House Favorites: Cookies

I literally didn't know it was Wednesday until about 2:00 this afternoon. For some odd reason, I believed it was Tuesday pretty much all day. I'm still weirded out, and don't quite know if I can trust my brain. I guess it's just been one of those weeks. I feel blind to the world, locked in my own little mind. To remedy my major brain lapse, I decided it was time for chocolate chip cookies, so into the kitchen I trotted; toddler in tow. I love to bake with my little one, she is so interested in how eggs crack, how the flour puffs when poured into the bowl, and the gritty texture of sugar. This is our favorite cookie recipe by far. 




1 cup butter, softened1 cup white sugar1 cup packed brown sugar2 eggs2 teaspoons vanilla extract3 cups all-purpose flour1 teaspoon baking soda2 teaspoons hot water1/2 teaspoon
 salt (sometimes I add a pinch more salt)2 cups semisweet chocolate chips


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans. 
3. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

For real, these are fool proof. Growing up, I always made cookies with my mom. When I got married, I tried time and time again to make those same cookies for my husband but seriously, they always ended up like little brick cookies. Then, this recipe fell into my lap and I haven't looked back yet! I'm in love with them and make them probably way too much. But, they're so good I can't stop! Try it and let me know how it goes! 

-Kristen




No comments:

Post a Comment