Monday, April 22, 2013

Green Monster

Let's talk about something that's been on my mind lately; the green monster. I'm not talking about an energy drink, a smoothie, or the imaginary scamp hiding under your bed. I'm talking about jealousy.

The problem with being on the world wide web, is things can be portrayed and skewed in any way a person wants. Behind the anonymity of the web, someone can make their life look like the most glamorous thing on this earth, even if they're living in a world of hurt and confusion. Because the internet can be this way, I all too often read comments saying, "I'm so jealous!" "Your outfit is the cutest! I'm soooo jealous!!" "You have a new car? Jealous!" "You got invited to that party?! JEALOUS!!!" Jealous. Stop it with the jealous-ness. Sure, we're all guilty of that little envy bug that comes and bites us every once in a while but have you ever stopped and thought about the origin of that jealousy root? Have you ever stopped and tried to think about all of the marvelous things happening in your life? I love this quote, it sure puts things in perspective. "Jealousy comes from counting others' blessings instead of our own."


Sit down, think about the things in your life that are wonderful and I'm sure after a while you'll begin to appreciate what you do have in life, instead of lusting after what you don't. It is hard to flip that switch, the switch from jealousy to appreciation; I know, I've been there. It is possible though. 


I know we're not all "bros" but I think we can all benefit from this brotip. Jealousy really is an ugly trait; it diminishes bright personalities and turns countenances into something dark. So, be supportive of someone in their endeavors. Praise them for their accomplishments, and comfort them in their times of need. Take off that green mask of envy, and look at your own life with fresh eyes; eyes full of appreciation for all that you do have. Life is sweeter that way, I promise. 

Kristen

4 comments:

  1. I love this Kristen! We were just talking about this in my institute class a couple of weeks ago. Why do we, especially us women, get so envious of other people's happy news and get hard feelings rather than rejoicing in their successes with them?? Others' triumphs don't devalue your own accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I happened upon your blog and think it is simply wonderful. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, Kristen! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. By the way, it was great to meet you on Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous of your blog post right now. ;) luh you.

    ReplyDelete